Thursday, December 14, 2006

Ellen Pompeo over Kristen Bell? Seriously?

Well, this year's Golden Globe nominations are a mixed bag. Lots of love for Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, and Weeds, among others. No love at all for How I Met Your Mother or Veronica Mars. And Bill Paxton's ass-baring on Big Love finally paid off, with nominations for him and for the show, because his milkshake brings all the Foreign Press Association voters to the yard.

Some of our favorite freshman shows did pretty well, with Heroes garnering a best drama nomination as well as a best supporting actor nomination for Masi Oka. Alec Baldwin scored a best actor nomination for his hysterical work on 30 Rock, and Sarah Paulson received a supporting actress nomination for Studio 60. Ugly Betty got a best comedy nomination, as well as a best actress nod for America Ferrera.

Scrubs was largely ignored yet again, although Zach Braff managed to grab a best actor nomination. My Name Is Earl scraped by with nothing but a best actor nomination for Jason Lee to its name--I guess Desperate Housewives' return to glory left no room for Jaime Pressly.

Congratulations all around to the deserving nominees! And here's the full list. Including those long things you have to travel and pay ten dollars to see. "Moving pictures," I think they're called.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Veronica Mars is never going to be nominated. I think I've made my peace with that. It will go into the hall of never nominated fame along with Everwood and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or essentially, anything from the former WB or UPN networks).

Liz said...

Sigh...yeah. I was thinking that maybe with the combined powers of the WB and UPN, a miracle could happen. Not so much, I guess.

Lori said...

Okay, what the hell with the Grey's nominations? Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, and Katherine Heigl, but not Sandra Oh? I just... I don't... ah, well. At least Masi Oka got nominated.

And as for the combined powers of UPN and the WB - if we're going with the Captain Planet metaphor, I think they're both "heart."

Liz said...

Yeah, seriously. Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey are, like, the worst actors on that show. Katherine Heigl I understand, 'cause her submitted episode must've been the one where she cut Denny's L-Vat, and that's very overtly dramatic and all. Bailey and Cristina got more understated drama in the past year.

Hey man, if I could choose any Captain Planet power, it'd be heart, even if it IS useless. I wouldn't wear the stupid outfit, though.