Tuesday, January 22, 2008

On the Glowy Box: Four-day week!

Sorry for the lack of posting yesterday. My internet at home isn't working for me, for some reason. Rrgh. But it was technically a holiday, so we'll use that as an excuse. Anyway, I managed to miss Terminator last night, but I DID finish the second season of Dexter! (More later.)

Over the Weekend:
Breaking Bad: LOVED it. This show absolutely has to be Emmy bait for Bryan Cranston. And the pacing was fantastic! I was worried that the "desperate parent turns to drug dealing to make ends meet" concept was a little too close to Weeds, but Breaking Bad managed to distinguish itself as the more dramatic of the two shows right off the bat--there was more action in the pilot episode than in the entire first season of Weeds. The only question mark for me was the actor playing Bryan Cranston's partner, but he's got a tough job standing out next to such a powerful performance. Anyway, two thumbs up to Breaking Bad. I'm very happy to add another show to my "Strike Survival Roster."

Masterpiece Theatre - Northanger Abbey: I hadn't read the book yet, but the fact that I was inspired to start it last night has to be a good sign, right? So while I can't speak to how faithful the adaptation was, I can say that I really enjoyed it. This Jane Austen-themed mini-season might be PBS's greatest idea in recent history. Seriously, I can't remember the last time a regular show on PBS has been appointment viewing for me, much as I frequently watch their special programming.

Psych: I'm just gonna throw this out there: Henry in a retirement home = Greatest thing ever, or GREATEST THING EVER? With a foolproof main plot like that one, who even cares if O'Hara and Lassiter's side plot was an odd afterthought? Here's hoping that someday in the near future, USA will choose to bombard us with endless Psych reruns, rather than one lame episode of Monk after another.

Boston Legal: From Tuesday. I can barely remember what this episode was about, and I watched it three days ago. Something with Jerry embarrassing himself in the courtroom with tics before doing a great job? Oh, wait, that's in almost every episode. Something about Denny wanting to assert his independence and prove he still "has it"? Hmm...again, I'm gonna say that's kind of a common theme. Boston Legal, you disappoint me.

Tonight:
Boston Legal: A woman steals a man's semen and impregnates herself artificially; a teacher loses her job for hugging a student. 10 PM, ABC.

Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency: Janice and the models bare all in an anti-fur protest; Janice gets more plastic surgery. 10:30 PM, Oxygen.

On the one hand, I am all for anti-fur protests. On the other hand, I am vehemently against Janice baring all. Hmm.

3 comments:

Vance said...

And just as I was touting AMC and noting that we Canadians get it, my cable company cut it off if my house. ARGH...

Liz said...

BURN. That is totally tragic!

Unknown said...

You might enjoy this audio interview (and transcription) with Anna Gunn, co-star of “Breaking Bad” and “Deadwood.”